2012年2月24日星期五

Firing User defined Function from Select, without using function name, is this possib

Hi all, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fire a user defined
function in SQL Server directly from an ordinary select function.
Example:
I have a function fx_Str_Title_Case(varchar). (change string to title
case, caps first letter of each word in sentence).
At present I call this as follows:
SELECT fx_Str_Title_Case(aColumn) AS Result
FROM aTable
I wont to know if I can call this like this:
SELECT aColumn AS Result
FROM aTable
to get the same result?
ThanksPut your function in a view and query the view.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||Thanks, I though of that, but was wondering if there is any way to
trigger the function based on constraints on the table or something
like.|||You can use a function in a constraint but constraints are referenced
only for updates, not for a SELECT.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||You can create a computed column with the UDF call.
CREATE TABLE Test(name VARCHAR(15), ProperName as (dbo.Proper(name)))
INSERT INTO Test Values('abc xyz')
INSERT INTO Test Values('abc XYZ aVC')
SELECT * FROM Test
Roji. P. Thomas
Net Asset Management
http://toponewithties.blogspot.com
<philip.mckee@.pramerica.ie> wrote in message
news:1123672753.295824.65610@.g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks, I though of that, but was wondering if there is any way to
> trigger the function based on constraints on the table or something
> like.
>|||On 10 Aug 2005 04:15:50 -0700, David Portas wrote:

>Put your function in a view and query the view.
Or in a computed column in the table.
Best, Hugo
--
(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)|||What is wrong with specifying the function, and how would you know what
function is beging "fired"?
<philip.mckee@.pramerica.ie> wrote in message
news:1123672116.950885.206380@.g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fire a user defined
> function in SQL Server directly from an ordinary select function.
> Example:
> I have a function fx_Str_Title_Case(varchar). (change string to title
> case, caps first letter of each word in sentence).
> At present I call this as follows:
> SELECT fx_Str_Title_Case(aColumn) AS Result
> FROM aTable
> I wont to know if I can call this like this:
> SELECT aColumn AS Result
> FROM aTable
> to get the same result?
> Thanks
>

没有评论:

发表评论