2012年2月26日星期日

First Connection to SQL Server 2000 is slow (takes 15 seconds)

I have a client machine running VS.Net 2003, using TCP/IP to connect to a
server running SQL Server 2000 Developer. The first time I connect to the
server it always takes 15 seconds. Subsequent work on the server is very
quick but that first 15 seconds is extremely painful. It doesn’t mater if I
perform a DA.Fill(DS) or a cmd.open(), it still takes 15 seconds. The delay
is the same if I run an application from within the IDE or from a build. I
read about similar problems being solved with upgrades to MDAC 2.6. However
the Client runs 2.8 and the server runs 2.7 so that resolution does not
appear to apply. My Client is the only machine that connects with SQL Server.
I have not always had this problem. Unfortunately, I can’t say what I did
that caused it, but the problem did not exist when I was running VS.Net 2003
and the Server was running MSDE 2000. Since then the following has occurred.
1.Downloaded and Installed but not using the MS Office interop stuff (Client)
2.Downloaded and Installed MDAC 2.8(Client)
3.Downloaded and Installed SQL Server 2000 Developer for Enterprise Mgr.
(Server)
Thank you in advance for your help.
Other items that may help:
I have an Access 2003 ADP on the client that uses the same SQL Server DB and
it also takes 15 seconds before displaying the table objects. However, if I
close the adp and reopen it within 15 seconds, the tables display
immediately. If I close the adp and wait longer than 15 seconds, it takes 15
seconds to display the tables. Once the tables are displayed, access to data
within any table is sub second.
I tried this with my .Net application. Same result. If I restart my
application within 15 seconds, then access to SQL Server is sub-second. If I
restart my application after 15 seconds, then it takes 15 seconds to connect.
I have another adp on the Server that points to the same SQL Server
database. It opens and displays the tables immediately.
Enterprise Manager runs on the Server. As I drill down the tree to
databases>Tables>TblX>Return all rows responds as quickly as I can click the
nodes etc. However, if I right click on the database (or any of the standard
DB’s (Master, Model, etc) and select properties, it takes 15 seconds the
first time.
Jim
PLEASE REFER TO MY ORIGINAL. I submitted 4. The first 3 came back with
Posting Error. Sorry.
"AdvanTouch" wrote:

> I have a client machine running VS.Net 2003, using TCP/IP to connect to a
> server running SQL Server 2000 Developer. The first time I connect to the
> server it always takes 15 seconds. Subsequent work on the server is very
> quick but that first 15 seconds is extremely painful. It doesn’t mater if I
> perform a DA.Fill(DS) or a cmd.open(), it still takes 15 seconds. The delay
> is the same if I run an application from within the IDE or from a build. I
> read about similar problems being solved with upgrades to MDAC 2.6. However
> the Client runs 2.8 and the server runs 2.7 so that resolution does not
> appear to apply. My Client is the only machine that connects with SQL Server.
> I have not always had this problem. Unfortunately, I can’t say what I did
> that caused it, but the problem did not exist when I was running VS.Net 2003
> and the Server was running MSDE 2000. Since then the following has occurred.
> 1.Downloaded and Installed but not using the MS Office interop stuff (Client)
> 2.Downloaded and Installed MDAC 2.8(Client)
> 3.Downloaded and Installed SQL Server 2000 Developer for Enterprise Mgr.
> (Server)
> Thank you in advance for your help.
> Other items that may help:
> I have an Access 2003 ADP on the client that uses the same SQL Server DB and
> it also takes 15 seconds before displaying the table objects. However, if I
> close the adp and reopen it within 15 seconds, the tables display
> immediately. If I close the adp and wait longer than 15 seconds, it takes 15
> seconds to display the tables. Once the tables are displayed, access to data
> within any table is sub second.
> I tried this with my .Net application. Same result. If I restart my
> application within 15 seconds, then access to SQL Server is sub-second. If I
> restart my application after 15 seconds, then it takes 15 seconds to connect.
> I have another adp on the Server that points to the same SQL Server
> database. It opens and displays the tables immediately.
> Enterprise Manager runs on the Server. As I drill down the tree to
> databases>Tables>TblX>Return all rows responds as quickly as I can click the
> nodes etc. However, if I right click on the database (or any of the standard
> DB’s (Master, Model, etc) and select properties, it takes 15 seconds the
> first time.
> --
> Jim

没有评论:

发表评论