2012年2月26日星期日

First run of reports is SLOW

Hello all
I realize that the first time you run a report from RS it's slow because it
has to load everything up. Is there some way around this? Can I setup a
report to refresh itself every so often?
Anyway to turn this off? I hate the 30 second wait time to view the first
report...That is what I do, the official work around didn't work for me (IIS
configuration). If you have a report autorefresh every 5 minutes that will
keep everything ready to go.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BE1E4369-E18A-4AE2-8931-F8BC56E8D609@.microsoft.com...
> Hello all
> I realize that the first time you run a report from RS it's slow because
> it
> has to load everything up. Is there some way around this? Can I setup a
> report to refresh itself every so often?
> Anyway to turn this off? I hate the 30 second wait time to view the first
> report...|||Link for official work around?
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> That is what I do, the official work around didn't work for me (IIS
> configuration). If you have a report autorefresh every 5 minutes that will
> keep everything ready to go.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BE1E4369-E18A-4AE2-8931-F8BC56E8D609@.microsoft.com...
> > Hello all
> >
> > I realize that the first time you run a report from RS it's slow because
> > it
> > has to load everything up. Is there some way around this? Can I setup a
> > report to refresh itself every so often?
> >
> > Anyway to turn this off? I hate the 30 second wait time to view the first
> > report...
>
>|||I guess it is not "official" it is just less of a hack. I.e. adjust certain
IIS settings etc. Below is the posting from someone else describing this,
but I just have a report on my box that refreshes every 5 minutes (set this
via report properties I believe).
>>>>>>>
If you are running Windows 2003 server for your IIS reportserver, then this
is a simple issue - I'll explain what happens:
The report service engine, once it is idle for more than the default 20
minutes, the worker process is shutdown.
This is controlled by IIS.
Open up the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
Expand the server node then the application pools.
On my IIS machine, I created an application pool dedicated to the
reportserver & reportmanager virtual webs.
But anyways, for the application pool that the reportserver is pointing to
if you left everything to their defaults will be the DefaultAppPool.
Right click the default app pool and select properties.
There are two things that are checked by default - On the recycling tab
there is a checkbox for recycling worker processes - it is currently set to
1740 minutes (29 hours). Leave it.
The other one is on the performance tab - which is the one you are
interested in changing...
See the "Idle Timeout" section and increase the number of minutes to be 8
hours a typical working day - 8*60 = 480 minutes.
Next, to be sure the "morning person" that runs the first report doesn't get
the delay, set up a schedule for either a dummy or adhoc report to fire off
like at 6am so that the report component worker processes get loaded.
I hope this helps you.
There is no need to have a report fire off every minute to keep things
alive - it is just that the report service was "unloaded" and needed to load
back up.
=-Chris
>>>>>>>
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:459E7222-BA43-436A-8980-96934C6FAC02@.microsoft.com...
> Link for official work around?
>
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
>> That is what I do, the official work around didn't work for me (IIS
>> configuration). If you have a report autorefresh every 5 minutes that
>> will
>> keep everything ready to go.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BE1E4369-E18A-4AE2-8931-F8BC56E8D609@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hello all
>> >
>> > I realize that the first time you run a report from RS it's slow
>> > because
>> > it
>> > has to load everything up. Is there some way around this? Can I setup
>> > a
>> > report to refresh itself every so often?
>> >
>> > Anyway to turn this off? I hate the 30 second wait time to view the
>> > first
>> > report...
>>|||Thanks Bruce. If the "hack" doesn't work I will just setup a report and have
it refresh every few minutes or so.
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> I guess it is not "official" it is just less of a hack. I.e. adjust certain
> IIS settings etc. Below is the posting from someone else describing this,
> but I just have a report on my box that refreshes every 5 minutes (set this
> via report properties I believe).
> >>>>>>>
> If you are running Windows 2003 server for your IIS reportserver, then this
> is a simple issue - I'll explain what happens:
> The report service engine, once it is idle for more than the default 20
> minutes, the worker process is shutdown.
> This is controlled by IIS.
> Open up the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
> Expand the server node then the application pools.
> On my IIS machine, I created an application pool dedicated to the
> reportserver & reportmanager virtual webs.
> But anyways, for the application pool that the reportserver is pointing to
> if you left everything to their defaults will be the DefaultAppPool.
> Right click the default app pool and select properties.
> There are two things that are checked by default - On the recycling tab
> there is a checkbox for recycling worker processes - it is currently set to
> 1740 minutes (29 hours). Leave it.
> The other one is on the performance tab - which is the one you are
> interested in changing...
> See the "Idle Timeout" section and increase the number of minutes to be 8
> hours a typical working day - 8*60 = 480 minutes.
> Next, to be sure the "morning person" that runs the first report doesn't get
> the delay, set up a schedule for either a dummy or adhoc report to fire off
> like at 6am so that the report component worker processes get loaded.
> I hope this helps you.
> There is no need to have a report fire off every minute to keep things
> alive - it is just that the report service was "unloaded" and needed to load
> back up.
> =-Chris
> >>>>>>>
>
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:459E7222-BA43-436A-8980-96934C6FAC02@.microsoft.com...
> > Link for official work around?
> >
> >
> > "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> That is what I do, the official work around didn't work for me (IIS
> >> configuration). If you have a report autorefresh every 5 minutes that
> >> will
> >> keep everything ready to go.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> >> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >>
> >> "John" <John@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:BE1E4369-E18A-4AE2-8931-F8BC56E8D609@.microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello all
> >> >
> >> > I realize that the first time you run a report from RS it's slow
> >> > because
> >> > it
> >> > has to load everything up. Is there some way around this? Can I setup
> >> > a
> >> > report to refresh itself every so often?
> >> >
> >> > Anyway to turn this off? I hate the 30 second wait time to view the
> >> > first
> >> > report...
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>|||I wouldn't call adjusting the properties of the app pool a "hack", but
really, "configuration".|||The reason I called it less of a hack is because the configuration of itself
doesn't do it. The last step was creating a subscription that ran every day.
My solution is a total hack but it is easy to do.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"octavius@.gmail.com" <Octavius@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126656232.440168.308260@.o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I wouldn't call adjusting the properties of the app pool a "hack", but
> really, "configuration".
>

没有评论:

发表评论